Speciality Doctor General Surgery
NHS Medical & Dental: Specialty Doctor
- General Surgery
- NHS Medical & Dental: Specialty Doctor
- Fixed term: 12 months
- Full time
- Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust
- Huddersfield Royal Infirmary
- £45,124 - £77,519 per annum
- 14/05/2021 23:59
Calderdale & Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust is a leader in the digital health revolution. With the launch of a full Electronic Patient Record in 2017 the Trust aims to be the safest, most efficient and patient centred Trust in the NHS. The launch is part of a 10-15 year ongoing project of modernisation with future opportunities for research, development in this rapidly developing field of medicine. Through working at CHFT you can be part of this innovative area aiming to bring safer and more effective care to our patients.
Fixed Term 12 months
We are looking for a dynamic and motivated Specialty Doctor in General Surgery to join our friendly and enthusiastic surgery team consisting of 13 Consultants and 12 specialty doctors at the Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust. The post is ideal for surgeons who are planning an application for a national ST3 post or for those considering a CESR application. Previous post-holders have had successful progression into ST3 national training numbers or completion of a CSER application. There is a strong focus on career development and professional support within a forward-thinking and supportive surgical department.
With an affordable housing market and fantastic schools (17 Junior Schools and 2 High Schools in the Calderdale and Huddersfield area have been recognised as outstanding by Ofsted), our Trust is perfect for family life
Main duties of the job
CHFT is at the forefront of the digital health revolution; with the launch of a full Electronic Patient Record (EPR) in 2017 the Trust started on its journey to be the safest, most efficient and patient-centred trust in the NHS. EPR is part of an ongoing project to develop a digital ecosystem within the Trust to become a truly paper-free organisation as professional development.
Working for our organisation
With this modernisation, there are several opportunities for research and the department has an expanding portfolio of audit and original academic projects as well as regular contributions to national collaborative studies.
Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust is an exceptional place to work with many amazing teams of hard working and dedicated staff, delivering high standards of patient care. We have made significant changes in the way we work to meet the challenges of the changing NHS and were rated by the Care Quality Commission as Good in June 2018.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Applications are invited from surgeons who would like to continue their general surgical training within our innovative and exciting unit. Applicants should hold Full Registration with the GMC with a License to Practice. MRCS or equivalent is essential for this post.
To learn more about the Trust, please see our website. For further details / informal visits contact:
Arin Saha – Consultant in General, Upper GI and Bariatric Surgery (Switchboard)
Laura Cooper - General Manager, General Surgery Directorate
- MRCP/MRCS or equivalent
- Applicants must have Full Registration with the General Medical Council and hold a Licence to Practise
- Relevant higher degree
Experience and Achievements
- Must have 4 years post graduate experience including 2 years within the General Surgery Specialty
- Must be able to demonstrate a high level of clinical experience and competence in all aspects of the Surgery specialty
- Understanding current issues within Surgery and the future direction of the specialty
- Understanding current issues within the wider NHS
- Attendance at a recognised management course
- Shows ability to work with and lead others across professions
Teaching and Training
- Experience of and enthusiasm for clinical teaching of postgraduate doctors and non-medical staff.
- Academic achievements/evidence of familiarity with research methods which have resulted in publications
- Training in clinical and educational supervision
- Attendance at a teaching course
- Formal qualification in teaching/education
Audit and Research
- Knowledge of Audit principles and evidence of participation in and completion of audit projects
- Critical Appraisal Skills
- Evidence of knowledge of research methodology
- Good communication and empathy skills with patients
- Evidence of willingness to participate in a multi-disciplinary team environment to provide an integrated service
- Ability to work as a member of a team, both through communication and sharing workload
- Ability to manage high pressure situations e.g. clinical crisis
- Ability to prioritise and organise workload and co-ordinate staff
- Ability to integrate the care of a patient by many and various other clinical staff
- Willingness to work flexibly to deliver clinically effective and cost effective healthcare.
Practical/Intellectual Skills/Personal Qualities
- Evidence of continual learning and development
- Understands self (strengths and weaknesses) and impact of behaviour on others
- Evidence of innovation
- Ability to use a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation software, email and internet browser
- Eligibility to work in the UK
- Ability to work in various locations throughout the network of services provided by Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust
- For areas requiring EPP Clearance (Exposure Prone Procedures), this will also be a requirement of the health screening
- An enhanced DBS disclosure will be required with the Disclosure and Barring Service
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Katie Dyson
- Job title
- Deputy Medical HR Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01484 355226
- Additional information
Arin Saha – Consultant in General, Upper GI and Bariatric Surgery (01484 355733)
Laura Cooper - General Manager, General Surgery Directorate (01484347117)
If you have problems applying, contact
Workforce and OD
- 01484 355029